On 11 April 1914, 100 years ago, Chesterfield Corporation Tramways Department launched its first motor bus operation with a service to Grassmoor.
Six new buses were purchased for the venture and within days, other routes started operating to North Wingfield, Clay Cross, and Brimington. But the outbreak of war in August 1914 halted expansion and four of the buses were required by the War Department in November that year.
Motor bus development expanded rapidly in the 1920s and 1930s following the war; the Corporation acquired its first vehicles with pneumatic tyres in 1924, its first double-deckers in 1931 and its first diesel buses in 1936. New Bristol buses were also introduced in 1926, with a green and cream colour scheme that remained until 1986.
Despite an initial fleet increase following the Second World War, a decline in passenger numbers throughout the 1950s meant the fleet and frequency of services reduced.
But, still, with a fleet of 139 buses to accommodate, Chesterfield Corporation Transport Department opened Stonegravels Depot, 50 years ago, in September 1964. It replaced the Department’s previous Thornfield depot which had been introduced to accommodate trolleybuses in 1927.